Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Car Accident in Dubai
 
I was told this morning that I was finally initiated into Dubai, and that now I can consider myself welcomed by Dubai.
 
It happened just as I was parking my car in the parking lot at work.  All of sudden BAMB!  The car swerves sideways.  I yell, "Really!  I can't believe this!"  (Those that really know my are probably amazed that that is all that I said.)
 
Yuppers my rearend got clipped.  And it happened in the school parking lot.  I was hit by another employee of the school.  She nicked me just as was completing my maneuver into the parking slot.
 
We talked, I got her number, and then went to find out what I had to do. 
 
I was told that I had to call the police immediately.  Immediately - it happened 30 minutes ago.  Immediately - how do you call the police?  Here, in Dubai it is not 911.  Immediately dialed 999.
I climbed the stairs back up to my room and dialed 999.  When I was connected to police I stated that I had just been hit.  The officer on the other end said, "Just moment; I will get you someone that speaks English."  When I got the English speaking officer I told him what had happened.  He asked where the cars were.  "GEMS World Academy," was my response.
 
"Where is that at?"  was the officer's question.  (O.K.  I have accepted the fact that I may have to tell the cab drivers here how to arrive at a destination, but a  police officer?)
 
"It is the big blue school in Al Barsha South,"  was my answer.
 
Then I frantically ran around telling our Secretary that I would need coverage when the police came.  Then waited for the call.  I was so paranoid and hyped that I even took my phone with me to the bathroom. 
 
"Oh my gosh!  I'm gonna have to deal with the Dubai police, and I don't know how to speak Arabic, and it was an Arab women that hit me, I'm gonna end up with the red slip."  All of these thoughts were running through my mind.
 
The police call came; I couldn't understand him so I went to find an Arabic teacher so that they could talk, and so I could find out what I needed to do.  I met the officer at the main gate of the school.  I tried to tell him where the cars were.  He couldn't understand me so he had me hop into the back seat of the car in order to take him into the parking lot. 
 
Great!  I'm in the back of Dubai Police car.  I can't buckle the seat belt because I couldn't find the clip, and I feel like criminal with the grill in front of me using my finger to point out directions to the officer.
 
Once in the back of the parking lot, all parties met up.  The culprit who hit me, an Arabic women, was able to converse in Arab with the officer.  I stood there wondering what they were talking about. (Being paranoid I was sure they were talking about the dumb blond expat.) 
 
I tried my hardest to mind my manners, and say yes sir and thank you sir.  It or my blond hair must have worked. 
 
I walked away with the green slip.  (The green slip means that you are not at fault, and the other person is responsible.)  I got the green slip!!  Happy day!
 
Dealing with the the car rental company was not too bad either.  I just took the car in gave them the green slip, and their smiles were wide.  I ended up with a new car.
 
Happy UAE day, and thank you Dubai for officially welcoming me to your country.  Minor damage was done and no one was hurt.  That is the most important aspect of this morning's collision.


No comments:

Post a Comment