Saturday, September 29, 2012

                                    Taking a Taxi in Dubai



I remember my first couple of days in Dubai, and learning very quickly how to access the taxi system here.  (Remember I have not been here long as it is, but it seems like a life time.)  I will admit that the taxi service is exactly like like what I read and was told about.  It is a quick and relatively inexpensive way to get around Dubai.

I still use the taxi system whenever I go out with friends and there is a possibility that I might drink.  I do this because Dubai has very strict drinking and driving laws - plain and simple do not do it!

On my first day in Dubai I had one of our security guards call a taxi for me.  He was very nice to do that.  I had to have a taxi called for me because my phone was not working (it takes 24 hours for you sim card to get uploaded before you can use your phone).  The good thing about the taxi service here is that they call you when they arrive to pick you up so that you don't have to stand out in the hot sun. 

My first taxi ride was to Ikea, of course where else would I go.  I learned 2 things on that first taxi ride.
1. taxi's drivers in Dubai are crazy.  They drive like maniac's and don't pay attention to the speed limit.  I have been in taxis where lights are flashing, buzzers are buzzing, and a voice actually says. "Slow down you are going to fast."  Always buckle you seat belt in a taxi.  (Always buckle your seat belt in Dubai it is not just the taxi drivers that are crazy drivers here.)

2.  The taxi drivers here don't always know where they are going or where to go.  Many times during those first days the taxi drivers would enter my apartment complex in a different way than I was familiar with and I wouldn't be able to tell them how to get o my apartment.  Needless to say I spent some time going round -n-round in the round-abouts to find our way to the destination.

3.  Make sure that you know where you want to go.  I asked to go to Carrefour on one of my first days with knowledge that there are many Carrefours here in Dubai.  When I gave my destination the taxi driver said which one; my reply - the closest one.  "Which one there are many in Dubai,"  so the closest one wasn't good enough.  I finally told him the Mall of the Emirates which I pulled out of my head at the last minute.

Taxis can be quiet an adventure here in Dubai.  Make sure that you know your specific destination, and possible how to get there in order the taxi driver doesn't know how to get there.  Buckle your seat belt, and when appropriate hang onto the overhead handle for those fast, sharp curves, and know some different ways to get home.

The other night I took a taxi to Tecom to meet up with a friend.  I took a taxi because there was a possibility of adult beverages being consumed.  When I told the taxi driver to take me to Tecom he asked me which way. My comment to the taxi driver was, "Why am I paying you to take me to Tecom when I have to tell you how to get there; I could have driven myself."  Four weeks ago I'm not sure that I could have made that comment.  Progress has been made, but taxis still have their purpose especially if drinking is involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment