Thursday, November 21, 2013

Katmandu

Animal sacrifices, Kama Sutra, human cremations, and rain.  

Katmandu was like no place I have ever been to before.   I spent some of my time wondering if time travel was possible.

Katmandu gave me the opportunity to reflect on my life and career; it also made me very thankful for simple items such as toilet paper.

I have always thought of Katmandu as an exotic place - like  a mythical place in a mythical setting.  Reality was a little rough to deal with.    

I have always wanted to go to Katmandu, and I am so grateful and thankful that I took the opportunity to go.    There was a time in my young life when I looked into joining the Peace Corps and I would have gone if I could have gone to Katmandu.   They said no - I said no.   I wonder now what my reaction to being dropped in Katmandu 30 years ago would have been liked.  Would I have had rose colored glasses on or would reality have dealt me a blow?   Interesting to contemplate.  

My trip was during a very  scared Hindu festival time.  During this time the Hindi people sacrifice animals.   It took me by surprise to realize that certain religions still sacrifice animals.  I thought practice was out dated by 100s of years.  Guess I was wrong.  I can not tell you how many bulls, goats, and chickens I saw get sacrificed.   I saw one poor goat eating flowers just minutes before he was offered up.  It a real cultural experience to see a sacrificed bull carried through the temple streets, blood running down the cobbled stone streets, and entails sitting on the sidewalk.   Yup I really wondered if I was back in the times of the Old Testament.

My first couple of days in Katmandu was spent in rain.   It was wonderful to see rain and to feel it on my skin.  What a refreshing change from sun and heat.  I wonder if the clouds cast a gloom over the city that hampered my view.   I was able to buy a very good vortex coat that will come in use for many more trips.   

My hotel was in the perfect section of the city.  I was right in the center of Thalme Street.   Wondering the shopping area in the evening was an enjoyable experience.  My hotel room was originally booked as a standard room, which I was told later was referred to as the Beatle's section.  I guess it is where some of the Beatles and other famous 60-70's hippies stayed when they were in Katmandu.  However, it was a little too standard for me.  I upgraded the following morning to a deluxe room.   Time to reflect.  Pam has become a spoiled traveler and she likes her comfort when she can get it.

Every tour I took that involved a Hindu temple complex known as a Durbar in Katmandu involved Karma Sutra.  My guide would always have to show me the Karma Sutra temple and tell me about how an Indian travel brought the practice of Karma Sutra to Nepal and how if you practice it; the results involve peacefulness, relaxation, and happiness.  I wondered how long it would take a couple to make it through all 86 positions, and if yoga was part of the practice due to the limberness needed to get into some of the positions.  Lol!

I thoroughly enjoy the days that I spent outside of Katmandu in the country side.   Those days were full of quietness and reflection.   One day was spent hiking after watching a very cloudy sunrise.   The hike gave me time to reflect on who Pam is and what she has become.   Life is so interesting.   I grew up in Alaska; I've seen animals killed - heck I've even helped to butcher some of those animals.  So, why was watching animals being sacrificed rub me the wrong way?   

Why was I appalled by the filth and squalor of the living conditions?  Was this really my first exposure to how people in poor countries really live?   Had I become too soft?  No, my guide was amazed that I never needed to stop and rest for a 4 hour hike.   Perhaps I've become to sanitized.  I really think some of my reactions were summed up by a friend who said,  "Katmandu was your first real third world country to experience."  I think that statement is accurate.  

Then, I started to reflect on my career.  I started to think that if the people of Nepal have been living in such poor conditions (mind you they all had cell phones, satelite T.V. dishes, and computers) for hundreds of years and would continue to live in poor conditions for many more years; why did I care if my students could even write a sentence.  My students would be like the Nepalese and continue to live; however, I want more for them.  I want my students to know that they can make a difference; that they can change the world; that they can go out and do good; that they have the power to help others.  Realizing that I want them to make a difference, then yes, they need to be able to write a damn sentence, because the most important way to bring about good is through communication, and if you can't communicate effectively then no one is going to listen to you and you won't get anywhere.   So, I want my students to be the best writers and communicators in the world.  

My last morning in Katmandu I had the chance to fly along the Himalayan Mountains.  The blue skies, low level clouds, and sunshine were incredible.  The mountains were incredible.   Mt. Everest was beautiful.  What a fantastic way to end the trip.  

My last surprise of Katmandu was finding Bassett Licorice in the dinky Katmandu international airport.  Of all places to find Bassett! 

Animal sacrifices, Karma Sutra, human cremations, and rain had an impact on my life, and hopefully that impact will be felt by others.

Would I go back to Nepal.   Heck yes!   I may never need to return to Katmandu, but there are other parts of Nepal to explore.  In fact I'll be going back to Nepal in February with 6th - 8th graders for Week Without Walls.   Lot's of hiking and camping, and I've informed the tour guide no Karma Sutra, yet the sad thing about that is that some of them may know more positions than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment