Saturday, February 9, 2013

Maldivian Christmas

 
Christmas 2013 found me half way around the world by my own choice.  One of the reasons for doing an international teaching job was to be able to travel.  I had two weeks for Christmas break  (here it is referred to Winter Break since Christmas isn't celebrated in an Islamic country, see previous posting) and decided to cross another place off my list.
 
I decided to go diving in the Maldives.  I had heard so much about this magical place that I placed it high on my list.
 
Again, I was a little anxious about this trip.  It would be my second solo trip, and my first solo dive trip on a live aboard.  I was worried that I would be the only single person on a boat full of couples and not have people to hang out with.
 
Whatever the conditions turned out to be.  I was booked and paid to go.  I packed my dive bag and went to the airport. 
 
The flight to the Maldives was uneventful which was nice.  Qatar was nice to fly and things went smoothly.
 
I arrived at the airport in Male with good time to figure out where I needed to go to meet the crew from the boat.
 
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the boat wasn't full; the passengers consisted of half couples - half singles.  I was very lucky and ended up with a boat full of wonderful people and mostly experienced divers.  Since the boat wasn't full I had my own room.  Love it!  Cabins on a live aboard are small and tight; they can be a challenge to share with close friends let a lone unknown strangers.  It was great to have my own room and bathroom.  (I know that I am becoming very spoiled!)
 
The boat was decorated with streamers and bling.  The crew even had a plant decorated as a Christmas tree.  The atmosphere was welcoming, relaxing, and fun.
 
The crew was helpful and very experienced. 
 
Most experienced divers know the routine of a live aboard.  This boat was no different.  The routine was: sleep, eat, dive, eat, dive, sleep, dive, and eat.  We were able to average 4 dives a day.
 
Everything that I heard about the Maldives was true.  What an awesome place to dive.  Incredible life and big pelagic life to experience. 
 
I was able to meet great people and formed some connections and friendships.  That is what diving and traveling is all about.
 
For Christmas we went diving.  During the evening we had group photos taken around the Christmas tree, celebrated with wine, and had a Maldivian tradition for dinner - roasted duck.  The duck was unique, it was good, but it didn't measure up to turkey.
 
I was on the dive boat for a week, then the plan was to return to Dubai and do some touristy stuff; however, I fell into an opportunity and took it.  One of the other single gals on the boat had a room booked at one of the resorts and invited me to join her.  I took her up on her offer and spent the second week worshipping the sun, drinking, and eating.  It was well worth the $35 dollar charge to change my ticket.
 
Christmas was celebrated under water diving with cool fish; New Year's Eve was celebrated at the fancy restaurant at the resort in peace and quite.  I did stay up beyond midnight and rang the new year in under the stars. 
 
Traveling solo offers some unique opportunities.  Both Jordan and the Maldives worked out well.  Next trip will be over Spring Break to Turkey.  Soon I will have to make a new list of places to travel to - my top 5 are almost finished.  Yes, there are positives to living aboard.  I may return broke, but the experiences will be priceless.
 
Top highlights of  my Maldivian Christmas: 
*diving in warm water
*meeting some great people
*seeing eagle rays - incredibly beautiful
*diving with sharks lined up one after another for as far as the eye could see - incredible
*diving with whale sharks - oh momma what an incredible experience - I want more
*diving with manta rays -- more please - lot's more
*soaking up the sun on the beach
*not having to wake up to an alarm clock
*lots of reading
 
Next on the list - Turkey.  I can't wait.
 


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you get to do all of these things, and are brave enough to!

    ReplyDelete